As a business, you are going to want to share your work online so that people can get to know your brand. So that potential customers can check out the projects that you have successfully completed. The problem that can occur with sharing photos of your work online is that people may try to use your photos without your permission. This is why it is extremely important to protect all of your online marketing materials. When it comes to your photos, you may want to use a technique known as watermarking. Here’s why and how you can do it.
The watermark is an image, logo, or text placed over a photo to either identify who created the photo or who the photo belongs to. The reason it would be smart to use watermarks on your photos, aside from the fact that it will prevent others from stealing your images, is because it makes your brand easily identifiable. People will come to know your images based on the watermark whatever you choose that to be. If you would like to create a watermark, start by considering these tips:
Take your time: Make sure you really think about what you want your watermark to be before you create it. How can you best represent your brand? Remember that this watermark will be on all of your photos. You want the watermark to look just as good as the photo itself.
Be careful about the size: Pick a size that isn’t too over or underwhelming. You don’t want the image to be so small that you can’t see or read it, but you also don’t want it to be so big that it takes away from your image. Pick a size that makes sense and looks good.
Consider the placement: No matter where you place the watermark on your image, the viewer is going to see it. But some placement may lead the viewer to take their focus off of the actual photo and onto the watermark. You do not want the focal point of your photo to be the watermark. Make sure your photo remains the most important piece in the overall picture.
If you would like to move forward in creating and adding watermarks to your photos, you can do this by using PowerPoint. There are four main steps involved in adding the watermark to your photos, and they are as follows:
Add the watermark:
- Open a new PowerPoint blank document.
- Go to the Insert tab, then Images, and finally, click Picture.
- Find the photograph that you want to add the watermark to. Click on it and click insert.
- Go to the Insert tab, Text Group, WordArt, and click on the text style that you want for your watermark.
- Select the watermark. Move it where you want it.
- Select the text inside the watermark. Type the text you want in the watermark.
Format the watermark:
- Click the watermark to select it.
- Go to the Drawing Tools tab. Click the WordArt Styles Dialogue Box Launcher.
- Click Text Fill. Select the color you want for the outline. Set the Transparency Slider to
- Select any other effects you would like, then click OK.
Save the watermarked photo:
- Press CTRL + A to select the WordArt and photo, then click the Picture Tools tab.
- Go to the Arrange group, click Group, and then Group again.
- Right click your photo and click Save As Picture.
Adding watermarks to other photos:
- Select the photo that already has the watermark.
- Go to the Picture Tools tab, then Arrange Group. Click Group and then Ungroup.
- Select only the picture and press DELETE.
- Go to the Insert tab, Images, then Picture.
- Find the new photo that you want and click to insert.
- Press CTRL + A to select the WordArt and photo. Click Group in the Arrange Group.
- Right click the photo to save the new photo.
If you want to protect your online materials, consider creating a watermark. Remember to put a lot of thought into the creation of your watermark, as it will represent your brand and all of your work. Make your watermark one that will make your brand memorable and identifiable.